Holly in Thailand: Phuket, Khao Lak & Kho Yao Noi
This was my first time travelling to Thailand, and I was really impressed. The beaches are amazing, and I loved the food and the people.
I really recommend Khao Lak for travellers wanting to escape any hustle and bustle. It’s still beach front, with plenty of shopping and local dining options. And also closer to the Islands and the National Parks for cycling, waterfalls, hiking.
Kata and Karon were great, I couldn’t fault location and the properties I saw. And if you can get out and stay on one of the islands, do so!! It is like stepping back in time, so quiet and the views are to die for!
I flew from Melbourne with Thai Airways on their Airbus A350. It was really spacious and comfortable with great service and plenty of yummy Thai food. Thai Airways (TG) fly direct to Bangkok twice a day, with connections through to the islands and other cities. They are a full service airline and include your luggage, entertainment, blankets/pillows, food and drinks.
I was upgraded to Business class for my flight home. There is a separate check in and separate immigration area, which meant no queues which is a real plus. If flying Business Class you can get a free massage in the Royal Orchid Spa – ahmazing! I suggest pre-booking upon arrival in Bangkok.
LE MERIDIEN PHUKET
Patong was super busy as I had expected. However a good and for affordable option only 10 minutes away is Le Meridien Phuket. It presents as a great option as you literally would not have to leave this resort!
- 10 dining options and so many activities included
- Stunning views from either pool or ocean view rooms.
- Activities like mini golf and driving range, basket ball, archery, fitness classes are included
- Beautiful sheltered beach, plenty of shade
- Kids entertainment
- They offer scheduled shuttle transfers into Patong which is about 10 minutes away
CAPE KUDU, located on Koh Yao Noi
Stunning , white wash “Hamptons” style rooms with traditional Phuket tiles, huge rooms, situated in Phang Nga Bay. Stunning on all levels, feels like very understated luxury, really stylish.
- Definitely highly recommend
- You can do all your island hopping day tours from here
- I would stay 4-5 nights to really relax!
- They offer free boat transfers out to their private island if you want the beach, otherwise it’s just the pool, but this definitely did the job for me
- I loved Cape Kudu! Amazing food too!!
LA FLORA KHAO LAK
Great location. Smaller property where you feel like you’re in middle of a giant tropical garden. Very Traditional.
- 5 minute walk into Khao Lak town
- Mainly couples
- Nearby snorkeling and the property offers great day tours to islands and National Parks
- Deluxe interconnecting can take 2 ad and 3 chd or 4 in each room
- Not modern, but lovely atmosphere and very traditional and tropical
- Perfect if you like a boutique and traditional feeling to your hotel
ANANTARA LAYAN PHUKET LUXURY RESORT AND SPA
I would recommend the Laguna area for those wanting a completely different Thailand experience . Luxury, quiet, great food.
- Good for Honeymooners, couples, golfers.
- This is a stunning property
- Breakfast was amazing, all in tiny jars and very high end produce
- Beach Villa rooms are literally on the sand – the ocean is on your doorstep with uninterrupted views!
- These villas also have private plunge pools
- Beachside bar
- All the décor is traditional Thai, and absolute 5 star
MOVENPICK, KARON BEACH
The Movenpick is a great resort directly across the road from Karon Beach, with terrific service and a great pool area.
- Close to shops and night life
- Plenty of local dining options
- Resort is perfect as is – rooms are all very spacious and traditionally Thai
- I was lucky enough to stay in a plunge pool room, the bath tubs were amazing!!!
BEYOND KATA RESORT & SPA
A long standing favourite at Destination HQ. Fantastic value for money, right on the beach and in the heart of Kata Beach. Some of the rooms have been renovated, so speak with your DHQ consultant about securing on of these.
BEYOND KARON RESORT & SPA
Great location, great value 4 star hotel right on the beach. Adults only so nice and quiet.
JW MARRIOTT KHAO LAK
This is a great property, its huge, but its so spread out and comfortable. With the best beach front bar. 5-10 walk to local shops. Amazing facilities – kids clubs, gym, café etc. And lovely onsite dining options. The Thai restaurant was delicious!!
THE SANDS KHAO LAK
Great for families as it has a huge water park, and incredible kids club. It’s on a great stretch of beach. It did lack a bit of atmosphere, but if you appreciate the facilities of a resort you will enjoy it.
- Allow plenty of travel time to and from the airport
- Leave a minimum 3 hours to allow time for traffic
- Add a stopover in Bangkok, great food and shopping
- Asiatique is a must in Bangkok, on the river with great food into the night
Thailand is a great holiday, and can be done on any budget! If you would like to start planning your next holiday, contact me on email@example.com
Holly’s other travel adventures…
I studied Travel and Tourism via correspondence whilst travelling around Australia at the age of 22. My professional career began in 1995, and with many travels and 2 children in between I joined Destination HQ in 2015. I love the beautiful oceans of our world, so my favourite destinations include French Riviera, Cinque Terre, LA, Carmel, Australia, Bali and Fiji. I have been a travel agent in London, leading to extensive travel through France and Spain. In recent trips I’ve visited San Francisco, the amazing Yosemite NP, South America, Hong Kong, Thailand & South America.